Tuesday, March 3, 2009

I was born in the wrong century.

First, http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1157784/Do-mysterious-stones-mark-site-Garden-Eden.html

Really, I've nothing spectacular to say. I've been studying all things classical over the last couple of years, and I've learned that there was much known by ancient man that we've completely forgotten. We don't know how Stonehenge was raised. We can't recontruct the pyramids. We can't sustain empires for decades, let alone centuries. We erect no monuments that will last thousands of years after we are gone. On the contrary: if all people were to die, all sign of our existence would be erased within several centuries. But the monoliths of the Aztecs, Greeks and Egyptians will remain long after that.

Early man knew how to live. They ate gluten-free, living off nuts, fruits and buried foods - which is so much better for you. The advent of agriculture has done immense and irreperable damage to the human physiology. And corn? God, corn can't even reproduce itself. If we let the land fallow, all corn would be exhausted in one generation, and there would be no more. Barley? That's not even a naturally occuring plant. We made that s*** up by crossbreading rye (a weed at the time) with wheat for larger yield.

We produce no epic poetry, no marble statues that will outlive us. The art we make is of balloons and darts and can be reproduced by a kindergartener. In ancient Greece, being a copiest was a prestigious job that required immense skill - and being an original artist was close to divine.

Who are our heroes? Sure, the names of world leaders will live on, because we are meticulous in tracking time, even if what occurs within that time is of little import. Our heroes are celebrities, movie stars, musicians. Why do you think the gossip ring is so thriving? Bradgelina is the contemporary Zeus, whose exploits are relayed during dinner conversation and around the water cooler. These are our role models, our inspirations and our representations of the supposed pinnacle of humankind. I don't know about you, but that depresses me a little. Not that the gods of old are great role models, but I hope you get my drift.

But we did invent superheroes. I guess there's something to be said for that. We have taken and run with the idea of the hero. We also invented the anti-hero, of which I am an ardent fan. And we birthed comic books, which I guess could produce the arguement as epic poetry. I don't know. I feel more and more that I should have been born centuries ago, after the Stone Age but before the division of labor between the sexes, when genders were more equal than they are even today. But mostly, I'm kinda bored at work. Mm. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment